Maintaining Your Best Self During Pregnancy
13 Body and Hair Care Tips For Pregnant Women
When you are pregnant, you are constantly in tune with the baby inside you. In the beginning, the connection between the two of you brings natural joy and a feeling of purpose to your life. But, as time passes and your body begins to change, and you may start to feel emotionally drained and physically unattractive.
Often times while caring for an infant, women experience hair loss, gain more weight than expected, and/or develop skin acne from the hormonal changes in the body. All of these experiences are quite common during pregnancy, and the best way to combat change to your body and hair is to look and feel your best.
As you know, the baby’s health and mental energy depends heavily on a mother's mood during pregnancy. This is why it's important to maintain your outer appearance with proper skin and hair care products to keep you looking and feeling beautiful!
Here are a 13 tips on how to take care of your body and hair during pregnancy:
- Apply sunscreen regularly, especially if you are spending time outdoors. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and make sure it is labeled “broad spectrum” to protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Limit your time in the sun and avoid tanning beds, which can be harmful to your developing baby.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Also, take prenatal vitamins to keep your hair healthy.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation and help your skin look its best.
- Be gentle with your skin and hair. Avoid harsh cleansers and use a natural shampoo and conditioner that’s mild on your scalp.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause premature wrinkles and dryness.
- Trim your hair regularly to avoid split ends, and keep your hair clean & styled.
- Be gentle when brushing and washing your hair.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser and an all-natural soap.
- Apply an organic lotion or moisturizer every day to replenish the skin.
- Use skincare products formulate for your skin and don’t contain harsh chemicals.
- Avoid smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that you and your baby are healthy and happy.
Now let’s tackle some questions that arise when searching for the best hair and skin care products during pregnancy.
Which Soap Is Best For Pregnant Ladies?It depends on what kind of soap you use! Some soaps contain alcohol or fragrances that could be harmful to a developing baby. To avoid these potential health risks, look for milder products with no added perfumes or alcohols such as all-natural soaps.
If you do choose to use a soap while pregnant, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly while rinsing. Hand washing is especially important before preparing food or eating, since bacteria from your hands may contaminate food which will irritate the infant.
Are Essential Oils In Soap Safe For Pregnant Women?
Yes, they are safe. Essential oils like lemon oil, peppermint oil, and tea tree oil can help fight bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites without harming the baby.
Can I use hair products while pregnant?
Yes, you can. If you're going to get a style, just make sure to wash your hair with a natural shampoo and conditioner.
Some hair products may contain ingredients that can be harmful to a fetus. You can also just use a natural conditioner instead of shampoo, since it doesn't strip your hair as much. And definitely avoid any hair product that contains alcohol.
Are hair treatment oils safe to use during pregnancy?
There are no harmful effects of hair treatments oils on the fetus. However, there could be problems associated with the mother’s immune system reacting against the chemicals used in the products.
For best results, use a hair treatment oil that’s safe for you, your baby, and the environment.